- “Social media monitoring and movement tracking of political dissidents. The end of political asylum in the EU?” Panel organizer and moderator at the Computers, Privacy and Data Protection (CPDP) conference, 28 January. watch on youtube
- “Defending digital civic space: How to counter digital threats against civil society.” Panel organizer and moderator at Privacy Camp 2020, Brussels, 21 January.
watch on youtube
- “Digital Threats and Transnational Repression against Exiled Activists.” Invited speaker for Community Knowledge Share Event of the Internet Freedom Festival (online), 8 April.
go to wiki
- “Digital authoritarianism and threats against civil society.” Invited speaker for Digital Shelter, a non-governmental organization for digital rights based in Mogadishu, Somalia (online), 15 September.
- “The toolkit of digital transnational repression.” Invited speaker for the launch of Freedom House Report “Perspectives on Everyday Transnational Repression”, Foreign Policy Center, UK (online), 15 September.
listen to soundcloud
- “Silencing across borders: Surveillance and Digital Threats Against Exiled Dissidents and Diaspora Activists.” Invited speaker for the VUB Chair in Surveillance Studies Seminar Series, 23 October.
watch on vimeo
- “Authoritarian Information Controls and Surveillance Across Borders.” Paper presentation at ECPR Joint Sessions Workshop ‘Authoritarianism Beyond the State, UCL Mons, 8 April.
- “The International Politics of Internet Control in Iran.” Paper presentation at the conference Authoritarian Practices beyond National Regimes, University of Amsterdam, 2-3 July.
- “Authoritarian Rule in the Digital Age.” Panel Organizer at the ECPR General Conference, Oslo, 8 September, Including paper presentation: “Authoritarian Resilience and Internet Controls in Iran.”
- “Iran’s Exiled Activists and Authoritarian Control in the Digital Age.” International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, San Diego, 29 May.
- “Digital Authoritarian Practices.” Paper presentation at the ICA Pre-Conference “The Consequences of the Internet for Authoritarian Politics”, San Diego, 25 May.
- “Diaspora Activism and Digital Surveillance.” Paper presentation at the workshop Telecommunication Politics in Authoritarian Contexts, University St. Gallen, 10 May.
- “Digital authoritarian practices.” Invited contribution to the symposium The Media Policies of Europe’s New Authoritarianism, LSE London, 27 January.
- “Building an Authoritarian Counter-Hegemony? Iran in the Debate on Global Internet Governance.” Paper presentation at the Pre-Conference “The Internet Rules But How?” Association of Internet Research (AoIR) Annual Conference, Berlin, 5 October.
- “Exit and Voice in a Digital Age: Iran’s Exiled Activists and the Authoritarian State.” Paper presentation at the ISA Communication Section Pre-Conference, Atlanta, 15 March.
- “Networked Authoritarianism and the Debate on Global Internet Governance.” Paper presentation at the International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention, Atlanta, 16 March.
- “The Internet in Authoritarian Regimes: Challenges and Contributions to State Power.” Panel Convener, ISA Annual Convention, Atlanta, 17 March. Including paper presentation: “Authoritarian Resilience and Internet Controls in Iran.”
- “Authoritarian Internet Controls in Iran”, Paper presentation at the IDCAR-Network Conference, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Hamburg, December 18.
- “Digital Media in Pakistan’s Media Landscape.” Paper presentation at Deutsche Welle Media Dialogue, Bonn, 29 May.
- “What is New about New Media? Converging Media – Changing Practices.” Panel Chair and discussant at the conference: New Media Configurations – Changing Societies? Current Research Perspectives on South Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Humboldt Universität Berlin, 29 November.
- Rapporteur for the expert meeting From Online Activism to Offline Action of the Asia Media Program of the Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation, Including presentation: “Digital Media in Pakistan”, Bangkok, 26-28 August.
- Invited participant to the academic workshop “Disruptive Publics” at the Global Voices Citizen Media Summit, Nairobi, 1-3 July.
- “(Net)working for Change: Women’s Movement the Iranian Way.” Paper presentation at the conference “Thirty Years On: The Social and Cultural Impacts of the Iranian Revolution”, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, 6 June (with Benjamin Stachursky).